What is Urban Forestry?
Urban Forestry can be generally defined as the discipline that focuses on managing a population of urban trees and associated components (soil, growing area, etc.) in a sustainable manner. Our overarching goal in the management of Marysville’s forest is to minimize costs, risks, and other negative effects trees may incur, while at the same time working to maximize the physiological, sociological, economic, and aesthetic benefits that they provide to our community.
When urban forests are managed proactively, using data-driven decisions, the trees that make it up are no longer a liability or a nuisance, but instead they become an invaluable asset from which every member of the community can benefit and receive enjoyment.
What We Do?
Urban Forestry is responsible for overseeing the care and stewardship of our urban forest, under the direction and supervisions of the Urban Forester. All operations undertaken by our contractors or staff are performed according to industry standards developed by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
We, as a city, are proud to have been certified as a Tree City USA community by the Arbor Day Foundation for almost three decades! We have also received Arbor Day’s Growth Award every year since the inception of our urban forestry program.
The Urban Forestry Division provides value to our residents by:
- Planting, pruning, and removal of public trees (park and street).
- Maintaining a comprehensive tree inventory with both public and private access tools.
- Performing regular tree risk assessments and tree inventory updates.
- Maintaining landscape beds in right-of-ways at entrances to the City.
- Responding to resident concerns and requests for private tree consultations.
- Leading of public engagement and educational activities (Arbor Day, Tree-ID walks, volunteer planting days, etc.).
- Providing technical advice for engineering and development activities involving the planting, preservation, or removal of trees.
- Coordinating with Code Enforcement to resolve tree related complaints and violations.